Friday 12 October 2012

..as I walked out on the streets of Laredo...



When I first saw this focal I knew I had to have it and I knew exactly what I was going to make. I love the southwest look, and larimar is one of my favorite stones to work with.  I mixed tiny blue pearls, turquoise beads (blue and green), seed beads and silver findings and my inspiration came to life. I didn’t want to take away from the beauty of the larimar focal so I kept the bezel simple and understated. The silver leaves just added that extra bit of zip. As I made this necklace the song “Streets of Laredo” kept running through my mind, I’m not sure why and can’t think where I would have heard that song but the name stuck.....Laredo.

If you believe in folklore, larimar is believed to have powers to help us view events from different perspectives, to soften and enlighten, to heal the emotional, physical, mental and spiritual body. Larimar stimulates the heart, throat, third eye and crown chakras promoting inner wisdom. It represents peace and clarity, healing and love. Larimar is reputed to be helpful for those experiencing stress and anxiety (I guess I’ll be wearing it everyday!)

Laredo   
close up of Laredo focal

7 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I love the way the black beads bring out the depth of the focal. And those leaves are the perfect touch! (I would wear it every day, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I love the blue hues of the Larimar stone. The choice to use turquoise with the black beads and the blue pearls just brings it all together. I also agree with the little leaves giving it just the right touch. I need to get some Larimar I am always stressed out these days.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love your work. I really like this post because I enjoy the explanation of the stones powers. Whether it's truth or legend I don't care. Thanks for sharing Sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kepi - I adore this piece. Great bezel - that's not easy with an uneven focal like that. And I love the accent of the leaves on the bail. The multi-strands work perfectly!!! What a fantastic design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kepi - what a wonderful design. I love larimar, too. Just wish it weren't so darn expensive. Love how you show this piece off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful stone! I've never worked with larimar -- I'll have to keep an eye out for it now. And you did a great job of bezeling it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another absolutely stunning piece. Your work is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete