Saturday 4 July 2015

Love makes the world go around....

....time for a few days off and getting out of the city....time to relax and regenerate. What better way than to pack up the RV and hit the road. Now when I pack up it involves deciding on a project (or multiple projects) to take along. The only downside to going away is not having all you supplies at your fingertips, so it is crucial I give this a lot of thought.  There is my camera of course and all the lenses and tripods and accessories to go with, there is also the latest knitting project (in case it rains and I am stuck inside) and we can't forget a beading project or two. One thing that is a must and that I tend to do only while sitting around the campfire in the evenings is carving. The carving  I did this weekend is for my wonderful husband, my other half. The lovespoon I carved symbolizes our entwined lives,  always joined in love. One side has my birthstone  (garnet) embedded and the other side has his birthstone (amethyst) ; the diamond crystals symbolizes our eternal love.

A Lovespoon is a wooden spoon decoratively carved that was traditionally presented as a gift of romantic intent. The spoon is normally decorated with symbols of love.


 I carved the spoon with a fairly soft wood, easy to carve harder to sand smooth, and as I didn't have stain on hand (my husband does draw the limit on what I can pack) but was anxious to finish I used maple flavoring and olive oil to finish. Not only did the maple flavoring give the spoon a glorious rich taupe brown it also smells so delicious. My mother always told me that necessity is the mother of invention!

The camera came out a lot, the sunsets where glorious!




No comments:

Post a Comment